Bringing Transaction-Based Price Benchmarking to Recycled Fiber Markets
The Gap Between Price Indices and Actual Transactions
Traditional recycled fiber price indices are unreliable and don't reflect the actual market, because they're not based on real market transactions. This gap has led to an unstable market and volatile prices, leading to increased frustrations for buyers, sellers, and traders of recycled fiber.
After conducting more than 30 interviews with buyers, sellers and traders of recycled fiber, here is what we’ve learned:
- Existing price indices do not reflect underlying supply and demand.
- Benchmarks do not accurately reflect differences in geography, product quality, or format.
- Current conditions do not enable reliable benchmarking of one’s own selling or buying activity.
Introducing: A Transaction-Based Approach to Price Indices
Until now, company leaders have had no way to understand how effectively their buyers were managing the largest expense in their business.
With the introduction of Recycled Fiber 360, customers can finally answer the question: How does our OCC price compare to the market?
Recycled Fiber 360 revolutionizes how fiber buyers analyze their OCC purchases in the market.
With an on-demand, transaction-based recycled fiber price benchmark, buyers get the insights needed to make informed strategic, operational, and tactical decisions. Our tool offers:
- Indexed tons vs. open tons segmentation
- Index breakdowns by region and product
- Historical price trends
- Export trade breakdown
What makes Recycled Fiber 360 Unique?
High-quality data, based on actual transactions - not surveys or interviews. Our price benchmark is accurate and transparent regarding movements in the market.
Market Momentum Tracking
Transactions are classified as either contract or spot to isolate freely negotiated market movements and determine data-driven momentum.
We allow mills to track their competitive position amongst peers in the region and chart performance improvements over time.
- Geographic summary of mills, capacities, and price quartiles
- Market price trend
- Price distribution by volume
- Month-over-month price change
- Fiber cost by mill
- Fiber cost by region
- Selected mills fiber price trend
- Geographic summary of total exports from the US
- Export trade breakdown by region and state/province
- Weighted average price per ton by region